Monday, January 4, 2010

To Ayden

Dear Ayden,
Today you are 4 years old!! Where has the time gone? You are not a baby anymore...and if I forget to tell you that you're a big boy, you are quick to remind me. You have done a lot of growing up this past year. You are now (finally) completely potty trained. Your imagination has taken off and you like to play pretend. You brush your own teeth, get yourself dressed, and put on your own shoes. You've had to deal with a lot of changes this last year, too. You became a big brother for the second time. We moved away from Missouri. You stopped spending every day with Grammy when we moved and started staying home with me. I think you've handled it all really well. But it's been the hardest on you because Landon and Camden aren't old enough to understand what's going on.
You are the best big brother in the world. You take care of your brothers. You give them hugs and kisses. You protect them. You play with them and share (most of the time) with them. Yesterday as I was getting ready for church Camden was laying on my bed crying. So you climbed up and layed down beside him and sang him a song that you made up about not crying. It worked like magic as he stopped crying and looked up at you and smiled. I love the relationship you have with your brothers and I pray it continues.
You have also began to be curious about the Lord, asking me questions and telling me things you have learned. For the longest time when I would ask you what you learned in Sunday School, your answer would be "God." But now when I ask, you recite your whole story. You love to go to "class" with Miss Melody and Miss Terri and Mr. David. You usually run in and give Miss Melody a big hug. I was so proud of you yesterday when I worked in your class during the extended session and heard you answering the questions about King Soloman building a church for the people to sing songs to God in. Then you sang a song that you sing to God. One you learned about baby Jesus in preschool choir: Christmas bells are ringing, Children now are singing, Jesus baby Jesus, was born on Christmas day.
You are a performer and yet you're not. Sometimes you will sing or dance or quote movies (you get that from daddy) and you want us to watch and clap at the end. Other times, like when your preschool choir sang in front of the church, you want nothing to do with it. Grammy, Poppy, and I took you to see the Alvin and the Chipmunks Squeakquel while we were in MO for Christmas. You were dancing along with the music but I didn't want to tell you I noticed because I was afraid you would stop.
Your love language is physical touch. You love to climb on my lap and snuggle under a blanket, especially if one of your movies is on. You like to hold hands, give hugs, and kisses. You tell me you love me all the time...I never get tired of hearing it. Last night you told Daddy that you loved him...you don't tell him as much...and it melted his heart.
You are so much like your Daddy. You might look like me and the Griffiths, but there's no mistaking who your Daddy is. You have the same personality, the same quick temper, the same mannerisms, the same ability to quote a movie after seeing it once, the same thumb-sucking habit Daddy had when he was your age. One of these days, I know you'll understand that Daddy tries to be like his Daddy...and that you'll make the decision to follow him as well.
You told me when you turn 4, you'll go to school. You could go to preschool this fall, but Daddy and I are still praying about it. On a personal note, I'm not sure momma is ready for you to be gone. It makes my heart heart that you are getting so big. But, I'm also so very proud of the little boy you're growing up to be. Tonight we are having a big birthday party with friends from church. You are so excited and you have been asking me if its your birthday yet. Well, big boy, today is the day. Right now you are snuggled up in my bed with your Daddy. You came in about 6:30 this morning. I'd like to snuggle with you...but I promised you pancakes for breakfast. I love you more than words can say. I can't wait to see how you continue to grow this next year. Have a wonderful day.
Love,
Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment